I had the opportunity to interview the awesome Brandy Gomez-Duplessis, a celebrity makeup artist making her new home here in the NYC! Lucky me. Here is how it went:
1. What wedding services do you provide? I offer traditional makeup, airbrush makeup, brow shaping and eye lash extensions. Brides can also hire me for a one time application, half day where I follow them to the church and give them one more touch up before walking down the aisle, and full day where I stay with my bride until all her professional pictures are done including her cake cutting. It’s like having a personal makeup artist for the day.
2. What makes Brandy Gomez-Duplessis makeup artistry unique? (Smiling) I have been told by my past brides, who I have become close to, the same thing of what makes me unique. I calm them and make them all feel very special. To have a celebrity makeup artist on their wedding day to give them a glamxurious look, is amazing. Plus, I personally noticed that most of my brides are girly like me (laughing).
3. Could you please explain your process? I’m an energy person and an artist so I get to know my brides first. I look at pictures of them, their dresses, their flowers, their bridesmaid’s dresses. I talk about how they will wear their hair, what time of day they are getting married, where they are getting married. I ask questions about their skin which is very important and then I find out how they have always dreamed about looking. After all that, I prep the clients face based on their skin type and I start the makeup application. At the end, I apply everything on a face chart because a lot of time brides book my makeup services a year in advance, that way I don’t forget what was applied. So on the day of the wedding, I have the brides colors packed in ready for when I arrive.
4. What can you advice brides and couples to be aware of or avoid when hiring their makeup artist? I always share with my brides to definitely communicate with the makeup artist. Brides should have a consultation so both parties will be on the same page. Bring pictures on the consultation of themselves with makeup on, and of what look they have in mind. With many trends out, they will all not work on everyone. Smokey eyes cannot be worn the same way, so this is why a consultation is needed. If a bride is going to tan or has any skin problems, it can be discussed at the consultation. This can affect the makeup on the wedding day. I understand we are still in a recession, but you do get what you pay for. Also to be safe you should have your makeup artist fill out a contract to lock in your wedding date and time to ensure no double booking.
5. Can you work with all skin types? Including Sensitive skin? Yes, I have been blessed that my talent has allowed me to work with all ages, all races and all skin types. As long as my client communicates any issues she has like sensitive skin, than I am able to adjust.
6. What are the latest trends in make up? I try not to follow any makeup trends because the client may not be able to wear what’s trendy. That trendy looks does not always work for the everyday average women. I like to select colors and items that will compliment my bride. A bride that’s 25 cannot wear the same amount of colors a bride that is 50 getting married for the second time. I do find that my modern brides like bolder eye shadow colors and lipstick colors. One trend I can say that will always be around is lashes; strip lashes and individual lashes.
7. What was your favorite celebrity to work with? My favorite celebrity that I applied makeup on has been Kim Kardashian. Kim has amazing skin and she can wear any makeup look you put on her. Plus she’s a girly girl. She loves being pampered and loves makeup just as much as I do (laughing). When I do makeup on a client that is very receptive about getting their makeup done by me, it makes my job fun.
8. What musts should a bride have for her wedding makeup? Any tips? Brides should make sure that their makeup artist apply waterproof mascara for when they cry during their vows, loose powder to set their foundation, and use a cream eyeliner so their eyeliner does not smear or smudge when they perspire.
Thanks Brandy for the great tips!!!
Here is her info: